Sunday, February 1, 2015

Winter Day in the Life!

I am joining Navigating the Mothership again for her "Day in the Life" series.  This is the 18th or 19th time I have done a "Day in the Life", not including every day I did when I joined in on "A Week in the Life".  Wow.  So, despite the fact that I really did not want to record this day, and how much work it is to type it up, I knew I would be sad to miss out on recording this fleeting time in my life.  So, here it goes.  It should be noted that I stopped taking notes sometime in the day due to some marital stress...ugh.  I was frustrated and didn't really want to record a day that everything didn't go perfectly.  But, what day is perfect?  Not a one.  So, here it is, the honest day we had...the good, the bad, and the ugly (I'll leave out the argument, since I honestly don't know what it was about, though, I am sure it was magnified by lack of sleep and life stress, therefore felt very important and monumental in the moment, as they all do).  Life, I suppose is all of those things; messy, wonderful, challenging, and rewarding.

Saturday January 24, 2015.
Leann--35 years
Eric--36 years
Caleb--4 years 8 months
Kinley--1 year 10 months
Hazel--6 months
Summitt (dog)--7 years
Zoey (cat)--12 years

It would have probably been in good form to record the billion wake-ups we had from Hazel in the middle of the night, but I could not bring myself to look at the clock.  Let's just say that she started the night out in her pack-n-play, then around 9:30 pm came into our bed.  For the rest of the night it was basically non-stop nursing and constantly switching sides while co-sleeping.  These days, I just need sleep so instead of fighting it I have just been letting her sleep with us.  Bad habits are forming quickly but I am too tired to really care.  I can't imagine that she will be sleeping with us forever and she is the last baby, sooooo....  Anywho, the logistics of her having to sleep in our room and the challenges with deciding when to have her and Kinley share a room are cause for this perpetual sleepover.

6:00 am-ish I am awake for the day.  Hazel is still sleeping so I try to sneak out and let her and Eric sleep a bit.  I make coffee for myself, turn on the Today show and hear Caleb waking up.  He still just calls for us to come and get him, instead of getting out of bed by himself.  I sometimes wish he would get out by himself, and other times I am very glad he stays in bed...dilemmas.  I go get him and let him watch an episode of Doc McStuffins.  This is his new obsession and I have to admit it is a really cute show.  I head back upstairs and drink my coffee, as Hazel and Eric wake up.  Eric has a cup 'o joe as well.  I wonder what I would look like if I ever had time to shower, get a haircut or sleep properly?  We may never know.



6:45 am--Kinley is now up too, and I change her diaper and let her stay in jammies for right now.  Eric and I make a plan for the day, including making our grocery list.  I nurse Hazel and drink another cup of coffee.  Eric gives Summitt his anxiety meds (very necessary after several days of him eating our house--literally).  He also feeds Summitt and Zoey.  Kinley announces, "I want cereal!".  I let her know that Eric will be making her eggs.  She smiles, claps her hands and exclaims, "Oh, egg!".  Her language has just exploded recently and she is definitely using full sentences now.  Sometimes, I realize that she doesn't know some basic concepts the way Caleb did when he was her age, but she can definitely carry on a conversation!





7:00 am--We start breakfast.  Caleb is having cereal with no milk and a banana with a cup of milk.  Kinley eats an egg with a banana and some milk.  Kinley imitates everything that Caleb does these days, and most times it is adorable, however, sometimes it is hard to have a constant echo in the house.  Caleb suddenly gets super angry that I took down the Christmas art that had been on the wall (a couple weeks ago).  Ahh, 4 year olds.



After breakfast we quickly work on Caleb's preschool homework, for his preschool class this morning.  Nothing like procrastinating.  He has to make a number book for the numbers 1-10 and then we also talk about other numbers and work on identifying them for some additional activities.  He recognizes all the numbers from 1-30 and makes his book with no problems.  His cutting has improved greatly, as well as writing, though this is still his most challenging skill by far.

During this time there is a mad dash to get everyone dressed, teeth brushed, hair combed and done, and out the door by 8:30 to get Caleb to preschool.  Kinley insisted on wearing her Birthday tutu, and how could I resist letting her?  Somehow we manage to get out the door in time and we are in the car.

8:50 am--Drop Caleb off and head to store.  We are leaving the pre-k parking lot at 9:08 am.  We try to fit Costco and Target into the short timeframe before we have to pick him up and some days we cut it very close.  It is so much easier to get it done while he is in preschool though, and to only have two kids with us for the shopping!




9:26 am--We get to Costco and start with getting gas.  Today it is $1.81!  We go in and get some essential groceries and get out pretty quickly.  I am always amazed at how packed it is even right when it opens.  Often there is a line to get in right as they open.  I still prefer to go to Costco in the morning though, instead of a weekend afternoon.  Eric and I decide that it is not too early for a brat and soda.  Who can beat $1.50?  We load up and then head to Target.  I decide today that we should splurge on a coffee.  Pretty sure my total so far is 3 or 4 cups...oops.  We leave Target and get to preschool a little early, so I let Kinley come in with me while we wait for Caleb.









After we pick him up, we head home.  Caleb and Kinley are pretty adamant about me playing "Frozen" in the car.  They both love it, but Caleb wants to listen to it from start to finish, and Kinley likes to start with "Let it Go".  This of course erupts in a disagreement.  Somehow they manage to work through it.



As soon as we are home we bring everything in, including the kids.  I checked the mail and saw that we got Kinley's Birthday bow!  I can't resist putting it on her and on Hazel to see how it looks, and it is adorable if I do say so myself.  Man, do I love all things girly, way more than I thought I would.  I usually wait to bring Hazel in last, since she still has to be carried (obviously) and it is easier to get everything out first.  It is now a whirlwind of getting lunch ready, since it is now after 12:00, as well as taking advantage of the beautiful weather and getting some outside time in before nap.  We manage to fit it all in and then get all three kids down for nap.  I change Hazel and nurse her before laying her down in our room, then Kinley is next and finally Caleb.  I'm sure Kinley's diaper was changed as well.  Miraculously, all three kids nap today at the same time!!!










failed attempt at a picture of all three kids in the snow

Climbing the Costco goods mountain!

poor, poor third baby

A little Vanderpump Rules for naptime entertainment.

Around 3:00 Caleb wakes up and asks to watch an episode of Doc McStuffins.  We oblige him.  around 3:40 pm Kinley and Hazel wake up.  We change diapers and I nurse Hazel.  We Facetime with my parents for a bit to kill some time and I set up the rice bin for Kinley and Caleb to play.




Around 5:30 pm I start heating up leftovers for dinner and we eat.  I try to feed Hazel some sweet potatoes, but she is not into them as usual.  She has been most successful with sweet potatoes, but generally could care less about food.  She acts very irritated what we are even trying to feed her.  Someday...someday...

6:30 pm--Hazel is ready for bed, Eric changes her and puts her in her sleep sack.  I nurse her and lay her down.  When I head downstairs we work on getting Kinley and Caleb ready for bed.  Caleb puts his pajamas on, Kinley gets changed and Eric puts her pajamas on her, they both brush their teeth.  Kinley has been protesting being helped during this routine, and she is very adamant that she can do it herself.  It is a fight twice a day to help her.  Ugh.  This to shall pass.  Caleb has always been fine letting us help him.  We read two stories, and Kinley and Caleb argue about who's story will be first.  Caleb then goes to the bathroom and climbs in bed.  We tuck him in with 8 blankets (seriously).  He insists on the order they go in and then of course his favorite blankie is on top.  We play his music and turn on his star turtle.  Kinley gets her music on and her mobile and insists on having all of her babies in bed with her.  Both kids need water with them as well.

Always making something, this kid.

Horrible picture, but it is finally bedtime!



As soon as they are down, Hazel wakes up and I nurse her and she falls back asleep.  I lay her down.  Eric feeds the animals, fills the humidifier in our room, clears off the bed, and gives Summitt his meds.  We lay Hazel back down and she stays asleep.  We are in bed around 9:00 pm when she wakes up again to eat.  We decided to just go to bed, as putting her back to bed in the pack n' play again is a lost cause.  I am up again several times over the night and up again the next day around 7:00 am. 


1 comment:

  1. Triple nap FTW!!

    And I appreciate you keeping it real - life is certainly a mix of the good and and not so good!

    Thanks for joining in again!

    ReplyDelete