Monday, January 27, 2014

Winter Day in the Life: Thursday January 23, 2014

I am barely sneaking this one in!  Once again, Laura from Navigating the Mothership has asked her readers to participate in a quarterly Day in the Life post.  I started one earlier in the week, but gave up early on...it was a bad day.  I had an unlikely (except for this year apparently) snow cold day, so I was home from work.  So here goes...

10:00 pm (Wednesday)--Kinley wakes up (and yes, I was sleeping).  Eric changes her diaper and I nurse her and go right back to sleep.

2:00ish am--Kinley wakes up, Eric changes her and I nurse her to sleep.  I have a harder time falling asleep this time, but after about 20 minutes I think I drift off.

5:30 am--Kinley wakes up again...ugh.  I feel like I have been hit by a bus.  Eric gets her changed and brings her into our bed for me to feed her.  She eats quickly and he offers to bring her downstairs to play so that I can sleep a bit more.  He is looking like a rockstar right about now.  I go back to sleep pretty quickly.

7:02 am--Both kids are awake because I can hear them coming upstairs to eat breakfast.  Eric makes me oatmeal to eat so that I do not get sick (if I don't eat within minutes of waking up things go downhill very quickly--I am hoping that as I enter my second trimester this starts to wain).  I decide to try to eat in the living room and turn on the Today show for a minute.  I call daycare to tell her that I am going to keep the kids home with me today and promptly after that I get sick (TMI-in the sink, because our bathroom on this level is under construction).  Gross.  For the record, oatmeal is out now...semi-permanently.  Eric starts to organize his work stuff on the floor and it makes a giant mess.  Caleb is loving it because he gets to sort through things like pens, flashlights, and apparently beads and leis.  I keep Kinley in her high chair for as long as possible to keep her out of the mess.  I am not feeling well and it is taking me a long time to eat the bagel I now have.  Caleb begins to climb on the couch and gets a little too close to the railing that is right by our stairs.  I get nervous and ask him to get down.  His response?  "I'm not a baby, I'm a big boy!".  Yup.  You are.  Get down!





7:45 am--Kids are still playing.  I am finally done eating.  Caleb starts to act out his most recent favorite book, "When Sophie Gets Angry".  He tells me, "I'm so angry at Kinley cause she's taking my stuff".  When I ask what he can do to not feel as angry, he says he can run.  He runs around the corner and comes back to tell me, "Everything's together again".  Silly boy.  He then has a tantrum over a lei that he wants and that he wants to be carried downstairs.  I tell him that he can walk.  He responds with, "I was talking to Daddy".  This is his new way to deal with answers he does not like.

8:15 am--I make a phone call for work, since I am not going in today.  Eric feeds the cats.  Kinley is playing.  Caleb screams for some reason.  Eric starts to get ready for work.

8:30 am--Eric leaves for work.  I read books with the kids.  They play nicely on the floor so I decide I can start to research car seats.  We have decided that new car seats are much cheaper than new cars, so for now that will be our solution for three kids.  I also begin to ponder when I am going to get $2 cupcakes from this awesome cupcake store near-ish to us.  Because, that is one thing I can imagine eating today.  Caleb goes to the bathroom and lets me know that he peed on his hands.  As I am helping him wash his hands he shows me a paper cut (I think).  I tell him I will get him a bandaid.  This is not an easy task, because those were kept in the bathroom that is now under construction.  So, I have to dig through bins to find one for him.







9:34 am--I put on an episode of Word World for Caleb so he is entertained while I lay Kinley down.  I bring her upstairs, change her diaper and nurse her.  She goes down easily, thankfully.  When I get back downstairs I fold laundry, wash diapers, heat up some leftover mac and cheese for me to eat, since I am now feeling hungry.



10:20 am--Kinley wakes up, so I go get her and get lunch ready.  I let Caleb know that he can come upstairs when his episode is over.  While I am upstairs, I put Kinley's laundry away, wash the dishes, shred some cheese and make lunch.  I also put meat in the crockpot for dinner.




11:10 am--Caleb wants to feed Kinley her lunch.  She is eating yogurt, cheese, blueberries, and a croissant--super hodge podge.  We eat, talk, and I clean up after everyone is done.  Kinley would never be done.  She loves to eat and we often have to cut her off.  As I am cleaning up I notice how dirty the floors are and how neglected things have been in the house for the past couple of months.  This pregnancy has taken a toll, and I have definitely let things go.  I talk to Eric and let him know that we need to remedy this ASAP.



11:45 am--We go downstairs, the kids play and I take a minute to read a blog post.  My tummy starts to hurt and I am thinking it is from the cheese I ate.  But, I love cheese, so it is worth it.  Caleb lets me know that "Kinley is making a mess" and is pretending to have a picnic.  He tells me, "I'm pretending it's summer!"  Oh, how I wish.




12:30 pm--I lay Caleb down for his nap (pretty easy, he just wants his turtle on, closet light on, and music playing).  I then bring Kinley upstairs, change her, nurse her.  I fall asleep while I am feeding her and when I wake up I am able to lay her down.  I go downstairs, turn on Rachel Ray and decide to take a nap.

2:30 pm--Caleb wakes up and I let him watch a show before Kinley wakes up.  Selfishly I am looking forward to laying down for a few more minutes.

3:10 pm--Kinley wakes up.  I nurse her and let her play.  I appreciate how content she is to play with her toys on the floor.  I think it help a ton that Caleb is usually there playing near her at least.





4:40 pm--Eric is home.  I go upstairs to start rice for dinner.  We sit down to eat, and I quickly realize that I will not be able to eat the meat.  That is all I will say about that.  Just typing it out is making me feel ill.

5:30 pm--Caleb and I decide to head out for the cupcake store.  It seems to take us a while to get out of the door.  While we are out, Eric gives Kinley a bath.




6:30 pm--We get home from getting cupcakes, Caleb eats a half of a cupcake before bed and then takes a shower.

7:00 pm--We put Caleb to bed.  I read him a bedtime story and then it is lights out.  We watch Law and Order SVU, and Chicago PD (which is confusing when we have never watched Chicago Fire).

8:57 pm--We head to bed, I play on my phone for a few minutes, then it is lights out!

11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are feeling so first tri-ish, but hopefully that goes away soon as you get into your second trimester! Glad you got your cupcakes :)

    I don't know if I have seen Kinley's nursery before (probably have but it didn't register since I didn't have babies on the brain) but it's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her nursery is by far my favorite room in our house. It took a while to get it all together, but I love it. I am hoping with all my might that I will start to feel better in the next few weeks. I am so sick of not being able to cook or eat what I cook...and the headaches....ugh.

      Delete
  2. Your kids are so cute! I can feel you on both the all day sickness (had it all 9 months for both pregnancies) and how hard it is to keep up on the housework when you are pregnant with kids (well, kid in my case, I only have two). Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think they are cute, but I am biased :) Let's be honest, housework has always been hard to keep up on...now I just have a better reason for it being hard!

      Delete
  3. I think my all my kids need that book, "When Sophie Gets Angry." They all need to control their tempers, and our home could use a little more peace. I wonder if it would work for my two-year-old? His temper is getting to be the worst of them all!

    I really hope that nausea goes away for you soon. Yay for the second trimester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great book for dealing with frustration! I think it could be simplified for younger kids for sure!

      Delete
  4. I used to love a good snow day in Jan/Feb but this is a bit much...I think our district has missed 5 days already. Its been 7 weeks since they've had a full week of school! And sadly there's a lot of winter left I think. :(

    I had a horrible aversion to meat my last pregnamcy. Couldn't eat it, cook it, smell it or hardly look at it. Ground need was the worst!! OK sorry I'm probably not helping...anyway s congrats on #3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little girl's room! So adorable!

    I saw your comment on my DITL post and realized I never answered...my kids are 19 months apart. I was feeling much like you are now with my second pregnancy and it was tough chasing a little toddler around. But you have two and are doing it! Good job Mama! How close in age will the three be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is 4, my daughter is 16 months and the baby is 3 weeks...three kids in four years feels a little crazy, but wonderful all the same! My daughter's room is my favorite in the house! Sorry for the late response...like super duper late!

      Delete
  6. Love Kinley's room! And so sorry to hear that you are feeling so sick still. I hope it passes for you soon. I can't even imagine feeling that way and having to take care of two other little human beings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, her room is my favorite! Sorry for the late response....so, so, late. Better late than never?

      Delete