Saturday, November 9, 2013

Surprise!

It should be no surprise that I love having children, and I am sure that I have mentioned before how it has always been my dream to have three.  This is something that Eric and I talked about at length, and we both decided that three was going to be our number.  So, with that knowledge, we talked about when to "try".  We decided that the perfect time to try would be next summer.  Kinley would be about 16 months then, and then would be just over two when the baby would come.  It sounded lovely.  I was glad to have a plan...and one that would work with our budget (no more than two kids in daycare at a time for one).  I haven't divulged a lot about budgeting here, but, to say the least it has been stressful, recently...er always.  I wish that was a worry we did not have, but it has been.  It seems that when we start to figure it out, something comes out of the blue.  For example, we just were starting to feel a little more comfortable and had a good plan on how to get some more money in our savings account, when we found mold in our bathroom.  So, now, all that "extra" is being used to remodel the bathroom.  Sure, it will be nice to have a beautiful and relaxing space, but it would also have been nice to have a bit of a buffer in savings.

I recently heard someone speak on television, to be honest, I think it was one of those televised sermons...weird.  However, the message keeps playing back to me.  The jist was that we are given exactly what we need.  Simple.  So, if you think you need more, you don't because you have what you need for the moment...and maybe one day you WILL need more, but then you will have it.  This is annoying, yet true.  For some reason, we are always hit with these things...bathroom remodels, needing new tires, broken vehicles, etc...just when we have a little bit more.  Okay, I have now gotten off track, but, it will all make sense in a moment.

So, let's backtrack to the night before last.  I had been super tired lately, falling asleep on the couch, which was out of the ordinary for me lately.  I had just been feeling a little "off".  So, knowing my body and myself, I took a pregnancy test.  It was positive.  I was in shock.  Serious shock.  I held it together and went back out to the living room and sat down and watched television with Eric.  I was trying to figure out how to tell him.  Should I do something cute and creative?  Should I just blurt it out?  I did nothing.  I didn't know what to do.  I wasn't sure how to tell him.  I knew that we had talked about this, and I also knew that we weren't being too careful...so it is always a possibility.  However, not to give too much information, with two kids and very little sleep there weren't many chances that could result in...THIS.  I took another test in the middle of the night, just to be sure.  Stupid of course, but, I was shocked.  In the morning, I woke up thinking about all things stressful, and all things baby.  I figured out a due date...but still guessing on that since my periods have been horribly irregular.  I could not sleep, and I could not keep this to myself.  I woke Eric up to tell him and his response was quiet.  I knew he would need to process this, just as I still need to.

Since that initial shock (that still resonates) we have decided that this is of course a blessing, and that though it is not ideal, it is going to be, so we need to embrace it.  So, now I am thinking about carseats, daycare, two kids in diapers, a baby that will no longer be the "baby" very soon, and a big brother that will get even less attention now.  I am also thinking about the morning/all day sickness that is soon to come and food aversions, and how to keep this from people for 12 weeks...depending on how far along I am now.  According to my calculations, I will be due July 21st.  However, if things repeat themselves, this baby is likely to come about 2-3 weeks early.  There is a lot to think about, a lot to decide, and a lot to look forward to.  We want to be surprised this time, I want to switch providers and delivery hospital, figuring out where the baby will sleep (most likely our room for quite a while--stupid split level) and Eric already mentioned the words...minivan.  Ugh.  So much to do, and I am sure that this is going to go very fast!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Wishing you the magical ability to skip any nausea and morning sickness :)

    And we need to get a minivan, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had that ability...and have managed to also get at least one stomach bug each time too, but here's to hoping! Still can't believe it, even though the 3 tests I took were positive, and the one at the doctor today. Here we go...

      Delete
  2. Congrats, I hope you figure everything out and feel more peace with your pregnancy! As a fellow type a super planner, I know I would be frustrated with my plans not going accordingly as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am coming to terms with it more and more each day. I am excited for three and for all the craziness that is coming. At least I know now, so I can plan...deadlines are helpful!

      Delete