Wednesday, November 6, 2013

8 Months

Dearest Kinley,

It is so cliche to say, and I think I have mentioned this a few times, but the days are long and the years are short.  This time has been flying by, and I can hardly believe you are already 8 months.  You are such a joy and delight in my life and always bring a smile to my face.  You are such an important part of our family already and I wonder what life was like before you came.  In fact, I can barely remember what life was like before children at all.  I do know that I must have wasted a lot of time, because now it is such a rare thing.  So, back to you.  I think I will look at a few major categories this time:  sleep (or lack of), eating, milestones, and activities.

So, sleep.  Well, you are on a much better schedule, however, have not been sleeping through the night.  I am sure that you are capable, but, just miss me at night (or that is what I tell myself).  I know I could probably get you to sleep if I let you cry it out, but I am just not cut out for that.  I can let you be if you are just fussing and sometimes you will fall asleep on your own.  However, most of the time I nurse you back to sleep.  You are eating at this time, not just using the boob for comfort, so I wonder if you are just hungry.  It is very easy to get you back to sleep.  A typical day is waking around 6:30 am, napping around 9:00 (when at home) or 10:00 (when at daycare), waking up around 11:00 for lunch.  You nap again around 12:30-1:00 and wake up around 3:00 (depending on how long your first nap was).  You then go to sleep around 6:30 pm.  You have been waking about once in the middle of the night, around 12:30 am pr 1:00 am.  Of course, sometimes you wake more than others...but, at least it is easy to get you back to sleep.  

You are now a much better eater.  We had a bout of constipation this month, so you got well acquainted with prunes, and liked them.  You have eaten prunes, pumpkin, squash, raspberries, mixed fruit, pumpkin pancakes, pears, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, avocado, applesauce, cantaloupe,  eggs, and sweet potato.  You have liked most of these foods and seem to be interested in feeding yourself.  We gave you some pumpkin pancakes, and you were able to grab the small pieces and get a few in your mouth. I feel like I have been slacking in the food department and need to start giving you more finger foods.  I think you are ready for them since you are moving the food around in your mouth well with your tongue and are munching food with your gums.  

You have been rolling for a while and roll around the room to get to what you want.  Your fine motor skills have improved, making it more important to make sure the floors are always clean-since you are most intrigued by small things you find!  You have not figured out how to get into sitting yet, but are able to get out of sitting by falling forward and getting on your tummy.  You have started to show more interest in standing and have been bearing some weight on your legs.  You have started to be frustrated when you can't get to things you want and have been pushing up on your arms and lifting your tummy off the ground.  I feel like crawling will come soon...but for now I am relishing in the ability to sit you down and leave you for a few moments to go to the bathroom or get something from another room, since my ability to do this is fleeting.  You have also started using a super silly grin and smile and laugh when you see your favorite people.  I love how much your eyes twinkle and your face lights up when you see me.  You have been doing more babbling, though overall, you are pretty quiet.  A few weeks ago you were around another baby that is one week older than you and it was adorable to hear you talk to each other and it was funny how similar you sounded.  You now hold a toy in each hand and have started to bang them together.  You are also learning to imitate, so we have started signing with you.  So far we are showing you the signs for "milk", "more" and "all done".  You like to imitate shaking your head "no" and banging of any sort.  




You started to sit in a high chair at restaurants this month, which is great to free up space and not have to have someone be responsible for holding you.  However, you still sometimes complain so we pick you up.  You have been showing a lot of interest in the dog and cats, and for some reason they let you grab their hair and skin without moving away.  I guess they are that starved for attention!  You are starting to be able to play on the floor for a few minutes alone and with your brother, without getting too upset.  You love his toys the most, and always make a beeline for them.  So far, he has been pretty good at letting you touch them-as long as he is able to indicate which ones are just for him, which I am totally okay with.  You are not allowed to touch his blankie, for one, and I can compromise with that.  About your relationship with your brother, I am sure I have mentioned this before, but this is the single most exciting thing to watch grow and develop.  You and your brother will always have your own relationship, separate from the ones you have with us as your parents.  I love to see how kind and sweet you are to each other-though I am sure it will not always be so sweet all the time.  The other day I was sitting on the couch and looked down to see you two holding hands, on your own.  My heart just melted at that moment.  Parenting is sometimes challenging, and even more so with two of you little buggers, however, I am doing my best to love all the moments, because they are too fleeting.  You are starting to figure out how certain toys work, and already have stopped just mouthing toys-you now experiment with them to see what they do.  It is so much fun to see your brain work.  

This month marked your first Halloween.  I love holidays, and feel like I don't always give them the attention they deserve, or that I would like to.  When I was little my mom-your grandma-made a big deal about every holiday.  She made my costumes, decorated the house, we made crafts, it was a big hoopla and I loved it.  So, for this halloween I tried to make it super fun.  We painted pumpkins, made crafts, carved pumpkins, and dressed up in costumes.  You, my dear, go to sleep very early.  When it came time for trick-or-treating, you were already out so you did not even make it into your costume on the actual day, luckily I had gotten some photos of you a few days beforehand.







So I think that sums up most of what is new with you...but really, what is most important is just how much you are loved and just how much I love watching you grow and learn each day.  I can never steal enough kisses from you and can't wait to get home to snuggle with you every day after work!  I love you baby girl...more than you know!


xoxoxo

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment