Thursday, October 17, 2013

A day in the life...fall edition

Navigating the Mothership has motivated me to do another day in the life post, so here we are again.  A day in my crazy life.  These are very time consuming, yet so worth doing.

Here are links to past posts:
Summer 2013
A week in the life-Spring 2013
A week in the life-Spring 2013
A week in the life-Spring 2013
A week in the life-Spring 2013
A week in the life-Spring 2013
A week in the life-Spring 2013
Fall 2012
Summer 2012
Spring 2012
Winter 2012
Fall 2011

This is from yesterday, October 16, 2013.  This is a stay at home day, since I am off for MEA (though I don't think this is what it is called) and our daycare is closed.  I didn't have anything fun planned, and I certainly did not take enough photos...but here it is anyway:

2:00 am--Kinley wakes up.  This has been FRUSTRATING.  We have been regressing by the minute in the sleep department.  Is it teeth?  Is she sick?  Growth spurt?  Who knows.  I just know that this sleep thing is a constant battle these days and I would love to get 8 straight hours.  Maybe someday.  At least she is easy to get back down, a little nursing and she is out again within a few minutes.

5:16 am--She is up again.  I try to get her back down, but she is not interested.  She cries and does not calm down, so by 5:30 I just grab her and bring her to bed with us.  I check my e-mail and facebook.  I am waiting for bedding for her bedroom and I am antsy about it.  We also talk about what to have for dinner.  I also check our bank account, which is such a fun (insert sarcasm) thing.  Ugh.  Finances have been beyond stressful and it just feels like we can't get our heads above water.  Maternity leave sucked us dry.  Anywho...back to the fun stuff.

Zoey snuck in the room for snuggles.

The lump is the dog that snuck in as well.

5:50 am--I make coffee and look at bills.  I recognize that we need to get our budget figured out, so that goes to the top of the very long to do list.  I also do dishes.

6:20 am--I nurse Kinley.  Caleb is still sleeping.

6:55 am--Caleb wakes up and starts talking and never stops.  This is what happens now...never-ending chatter.  It is impossible to remember all the funny things he says!  We start breakfast.  I make cream of wheat for me, Eric feeds Kinley, and Caleb eats a banana and yogurt.  We are enjoying having more room in our dining area now that we got a new-to-us table that is smaller!  I am also happy that our old table is living happily in a friend's house.  I do miss it, but love the space!

Scored this table for the same price we sold our coffee table for!

trying to drink this gross stuff to increase my milk supply

new tablecloth for the new-to-us table

7:34--Breakfast is over and I read books with the kids.  Eric gets ready for work.  Caleb feeds the animals (quite the feat, since the cats eat different food and in different rooms) and is so proud of himself for doing it.  I am excited that maybe this can become his job soon.

8:10 am--Eric gets Kinley ready for her nap, meanwhile, Caleb watches an episode of Word World.  I hate relying on the television for times like these, however, at least it is educational.  These days, since watching this show, he has been VERY into sounding out words and how things are spelled.  He can spell many words now, and I have a feeling he will be a reader sooner than later.

8:30 am--I am done laying Kinley down and Eric heads out the door.  I start to take pictures of clothes that we are getting rid of, so that I can post them on Craigslist.

8:55 am--Kinley awake, so I bring her downstairs.  She plays, Caleb plays...this is lovely.

9:40 am--Kinley seems tired (of course), so I try to lay her down again, unsuccessfully.  I put diapers together, do more laundry (never-ending), and let Caleb watch another episode so that I can post those craigslist ads.

Just some of the boxes of clothes that need to go!

Caleb's tower

10:26 am--I got the kids dressed...though I am not dressed myself yet.  My stomach is grumbling and I can't wait for lunch!

He loves her.  A little too much at times.

Art wall.  I love walking past this everyday!

11:00 am--I get the kids upstairs for lunch.  I let Kinley play on the floor while I get Caleb's sandwich ready.  This kid could live off of PBJ's...and kind of does for lunch at least.  During lunch Caleb wants to play a game.  We start to talk about words that start with different letters.  These are the ones he came up with.

The angry birds snack is from ECFE the night before, he waited very patiently to eat it.

P-Pineapple, Penguin, Pen, Pear, Porn.  Yup.  Porn.  Now, it should be noted that amongst some of these "real" words were made up ones.  He will often make up words when he draws a picture and I ask him what it is.  So, I am convinced that he made this one up.  I swear we have not discussed porn in front of him!  I told him that is not a word, but he argued it was.

R-Relax, Rent

B-Belly, Bag, Blender, Bread, Bun, Beep, Bear

C-Cap, Candle, Cash, Candy

S-Sandwich, Sand, Sun

N-Necktie, Nest

F-Feather, Five, Finger, Flag

J-Juggle, Jenny, Jon

G-Grandma, Grain

This kid's vocabulary astounds me at times.  He is so verbal, and always has been.  Motor skills...well, we are still working on that.

11:30 am--We go downstairs to play and read books.  I am feeling distracted by this day in the life post, trying to document everything, yet, not being very present in the moment because of it.  Double edged sword kind of moment.  I vow to make up for it tomorrow.

12:05 pm--Kids are breaking down.  The combination of me being distracted, barely a nap for Kinley, and all the time inside with no change, has everyone at their breaking point.  25 minutes until naptime...countdown ensues silently for me.

12:39 pm--Both kids are asleep.  I have learned that it is best when I lay Caleb down first, then Kinley. While I am getting him in bed, she usually plays in the exersaucer.  My little baby (8th percentile) can now finally touch the floor in it.  I debate what I could do during nap, but decide to sit and do nothing instead.  I am glad that I did that because at 1:50, both kids are awake.  This is the LONGEST day ever.

I decide to shower, because I am supposed to meet work friends around 2:45 pm.  However, after showering and getting ready I am faced with two very unhappy children.  At about 2:40, I realize that we are not going to make it, so I text them to let them know.  My threenager is mad about everything in this moment...but the biggest issue is that he wants a prize for going pee.  He is potty trained, and has been for a few months now.  But apparently, he still thinks peeing gets prizes.  Nope.  So I am of course the meanest ever (it is usually in these moments when he says things like "I just need my dad!"). I decide to facetime with my parents to see if that cheers him up.  It works for a little bit.  He likes talking to them.  While we are facetiming (is that a word?), my mother in law tries to facetime as well.  So, when we are done with my parents, I try to call her.  We are able to talk for about a minute, before I realize that this is a disaster.  Both kids are screaming and nothing will make them stop.  I begin to wonder if Kinley's ear is bothering her.  She has been pulling at her right ear all day, and that combined with the no sleeping has me wondering.  I think I might take her in to the clinic to be sure.

5:04 pm--Eric is home, later than I hoped, so no clinic.  Also, we were out of cheese, so the enchiladas that I had planned for dinner are out.  Instead we decide to head to Pizza Ranch.  If you haven't heard of this before, it is the perfect place for kids.  Kids are cheap, and it is a buffet, so you can feed them immediately! I am aware that eating out is not a good choice after the morning and the stress of money...but I don't have it in me to cook at this point.  I get food ready for Kinley and grab a couple diapers, then we head out.  On the way we pass a field.  Caleb mentions that he likes that yard.  We also pass a church that has circle windows, and he is a big fan.  When we pass a corn maze, he says, "we should go there."  When we get into the restaurant, Caleb gets on the floor to point and name each of the letters in Pizza Ranch that is on a rug.  I have no pictures from dinner because I thought I left my phone in the car (it was in the diaper bag the whole time), but it was good.  Kinley was ready to go home to go to sleep, but Caleb did not want to leave until every last bit of his pizza was gone.  When we get to the car Caleb says, "It's all good in here, I like the lights on."  He also sees the moon and says, "We don't sleep during the day time, we just sleep during the night."

6:50 pm--We are home, and luckily Kinley did not sleep in the car, since her bedtime is 6:30.  Eric gets her ready for bed, while I change quickly and help Caleb in the bathroom.  He starts to pee while standing up then says, "I think I have to poop".  DISCLAIMER--THIS NEXT PART IS GROSS--I swear, it was like things were moving in slow motion at this in the movies where you start to see something happen but are frozen and can't move.  I see him turning, then I see poop coming out of him.  He tries to sit down, but it is too late...there is poop on the floor, on his shirt, on the toilet.  It is gross.  I want to hurl.  However, he tried so hard to make it, so I don't want him to feel bad.  I start the shower and begin to clean up the mess.  He is helpful to point out all the places that he sees the poop.  I decide at this moment that standing and peeing is not a good idea for a while, and that he should only sit for the time being.  Eric helps him wash in the shower, and I take Kinley to put her down.

7:23 pm--The dust has settled.  Kids are asleep...for a minute.  Kinley wakes up and cries, so I go feed her again (story of my day).  She is finally asleep.  Eric and I are both cranky and not really listening to each to avoid an argument, I go to bed.  I think I need it anyway.


  1. I'm sorry for your sleeping troubles - been there :( Hope things have improved since this post!

    I didn't know about coconut water for milk supply - interesting! Does it seem less gross if you really chill it with lots of ice?

    I have never been to a Pizza Ranch, but I think that would be a HUUUGE hit with my kids!

    1. Sleep...well, it has its ups and downs. I think the flavored versions of the coconut milk would be better. For me, it does not seem to matter if it is cold or warm, either way I just chug it. And Pizza Ranch is awesome for kids. I probably wouldn't have gone there without kids, but it has been a godsend more than once when I have been stuck with a hungry kid!

  2. I have never been to a Pizza Ranch, but I will have to check it out, sounds like my kind of place!

  3. Nothing better when they both nap at the same time!

  4. We have a pizza ranch!! Actually they just changed the name so its not actually a PR anymore. But, my 3 year old fliiiiippps out for their dessert pizza or white pizza as he calls it. Kids eat free on Tuesdays!!

    1. I did not know about the Tuesday thing, I will have to check into that!

  5. Your kids are adorable! Sounds like a frustrating day, and busy. Sometimes pizza is the right choice .

  6. Ah, those kid's brick blocks bring me back to being a kid. I haven't seen those in years!

    Also, this day sounds exhausting. I want to come over and give you a break. : )