Sunday, September 15, 2013

Know when to walk away...

This has been quite the weekend.  We have been dealing with some sickness here, and that is never fun.  Weird sickness.  On Tuesday night Kinley had a high fever, so I stayed home with her on Wednesday.  She had no other symptoms, but I brought her in to the pediatrician.  They said it was probably a virus.  That day her fever broke and she was happy again.  We brought her to daycare the next day, but that night she got a fever again so I stayed home with her on Friday.  Again, no symptoms.  Also, Caleb acted weird at daycare, and Amy called me to pick him up (the first time EVER).  So, now I was home with two sick kids.  This would not have been bad, except this weekend is the weekend of my Sister-in-Law's wedding.  Eric and I decided it would be best for him to go to the rehearsal and then come home while I stayed with the kids.  I finally gave in and gave Kinley some Advil around 4:00 pm, and after that she smiled for the first time that day and seemed to be in good spirits.  Caleb also seemed to be feeling okay.  We decided that we would just see how the night was and then make a decision about the wedding.  If we only made it to the ceremony we would consider that success.  The next morning, both kids woke up happy after sleeping well.  We decided that we would definitely make the wedding and then see what happened after that.  

Kinley took a good morning nap, so we decided that the kids could sleep in the car on the way to the wedding for their afternoon naps.  We got on the road a little later than we had hoped and after driving for a bit, Eric realized he forgot his speech at home.  So, we turned around and went to get it.  Now, we were on our way!  Kids were sleeping, so plan A was working (mostly).  We drove to the church and arrived in time for pictures.  The weather held out, and it was great to see everyone. 

At some point asked Eric to get my water from the car (I am always so thirsty).  He went to the car, came back and then it was time for the wedding.  He was an usher, so I had to take the kids to the chapel while he was doing his work.  Two kids means I have WAY too much stuff.  Especially since I was trying to keep them both happy and quiet.  So, we brought the stroller.  Ugh.  A clunky thing in a small space was not a good idea (this resonated all night).  The ceremony was in this gorgeous quaint chapel.  Prior to the wedding, everyone was trying to get Caleb to talk to them to no avail.  I was worried that as soon as we were in the quiet space, he would decide it was time to talk.  The last wedding we went to he decided to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" at the top of his lungs.  I knew he would not be quiet, even though I came equipped with coloring, books, paper, markers, my phone, and who knows what other things. 

As soon as it was quiet, he started talking.  Loudly.  When I asked him to use a quiet voice, his response was "I want to use my loud voice".  This is where things started to go downhill.  Luckily, Eric was done ushering at this point and was sitting by us.  Kinley started crying and I fed her.  That kept her quiet.  Caleb continued to make noise.  I was able to read him a book and that worked for a minute. But, basically, he was the opposite of quiet.  At one point someone shushed him.  I understood that he was making noise, however, he is also the bride's only nephew, so I feel that this would have been overlooked.  Plus, I feel like we had worked so hard and gone through so much to make it there in the first place.  So, he made more noise.  I was embarrassed and was definitely trying to keep him quiet.  However, it did not work and eventually Eric took him out of the chapel.  This was probably worse, as I could hear him screaming in the hall.  Apparently as Eric was walking out with him someone (not sure who) said, "it's about damn time.".  Now, I was completely aware that he was loud, but come on.  Eric was pissed.  I could not blame him.  He wanted to talk to whoever said it, but I knew that he should take a minute to calm down.  He is a protective daddy and was mad.  

We still do not know who said it, but oh well.  Heather, Eric's sister, was so sweet about the whole thing and never felt like he ruined the ceremony.  That made me feel very good.  Well, fast forward to the reception.  It was held in the same church, so it was nice that we did not have to leave at all.  We trudged through with our brood and our stroller.  I walked Kinley around in the carrier to get her to take a short nap which she did, so things were going pretty well at this point.  Eric gave his speech and it was wonderful.    

At one point, during the appetizers, Eric's stepdad came to see if we could get a box of clothes for Kinley out of their car and put it in ours.  Eric went out to the car, and quickly realized that he did not have the keys.  So, we spent the next hour searching for keys, EVERYWHERE.  We do not have an extra set, so we were definitely stressed.  Here we were feeling trapped at a wedding with no way home with two little kids.  I am sure there was some panic, but we tried to stay calm.  We searched and searched.  No keys.  As I was walking back to our table I turned away from Caleb for a second and then heard a loud crash.  He had tipped over a cake that was on a stand.  I think it was a domino effect.  All I saw was my child, crumpled to the floor crying about the "blue" cake.  Apparently, he did not want to wait.  I felt like our family was a train wreck at that point.  I got him to our table and sat down to rest between feeding Kinley and trying to feed myself Eric's uncle looked through our stuff again.  Magically, he found the keys.  I have never been so relieved and happy.  I proceeded to drink a glass of wine and then we mingled for a bit.  It was clear that Kinley was exhausted, so we decided to leave.  I also felt badly that not everyone got to hold Kinley and play with her.  Because she was not feeling well, I was feeling a lot more protective of her and wanted to keep her close to us.  She was also more fussy and less willing to let other's hold her.  I am sure things would have been different if our family lived near us and if our kids were more familiar with them.  However, with her being sick she was more leery of them and wasn't as comfortable as she is with us.

As we were leaving, the DJ came up and said, "you can't leave, the first dance is going to happen now".  I said that indeed we were leaving.  I am sure he was just giving us a hard time, but after the couple days we had I was not in the mood for jokes.  I was just in the mood for pajamas and decompressing.  On the way home Caleb said "I did not dance at Auntie Heather's wedding".  I know he was bummed, but life with two is just a bit different. Especially when one of them has been so sick.  On the way home Eric and I talked about how it would have been nice to stay, however, neither of us felt bad for leaving and making that decision together.  I think that this is a result of being second time parents.  With Caleb we were so much more concerned about what other people would think, this time we just do what is right for our family and feel comfort in that.  We got home and got everyone to bed (Kinley was not asleep for a couple hours since she was now overtired) and we went to bed. 

Also, because of all the drama, we only took three pictures.  Yup.  Mom fail.  The kids looked so cute too...Caleb in a suit and Kinley in a dress that I picked for her before she was born.  Oh well.  At least there are a couple professional photos with them looking cute for Heather.  Also, Caleb and his Great Grandpa were wearing the same color accidentally and we never got a picture of that either.  However, we made it out mostly unscathed.  Although, I did see myself in the mirror at the end of the night and boy was that a sight to see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment