Saturday, July 20, 2013

Power outage x 3

So, I mentioned that there was a little more to the power outage goes...

We had a big storm on a Friday.  It was intense, but fairly short.  Our power flickered...but stayed on.  I thought we were in the clear.  On Saturday, we woke up with power, and a phone call from my husband's work.  He did not need to work because the power was out.  We had planned to leave on Sunday to go up north, but decided to leave a day early and spend an extra night.  We started packing up, then he got a call.  He had to go in for a couple hours.  We decided to play it by ear if we would still want to make the drive and mess up bedtime.  He was home by 2:30, so we decided to still leave.  We were out of the house by 3:30 pm.  What I know now is that our power went out shortly after we left.  Ignorance is bliss.  Kind of.  We headed out of town and the drive went well.  We got to our destination by about 6:45 pm.  We had both kids in bed and sleeping by 8:00 pm.  It was a peaceful night.  In the morning, we relaxed, made breakfast.  Kinley took her nap.  Caleb took an early nap, because we had a grad party to go to.  During his nap I got a text from our neighbor.  They had been out of town, and returned to no power at their house, and she was sure it was out at ours as well.  I called the energy company to confirm.  Yes.  We were out of power.  I started to panic.  It had now been almost 24 hours of no power, and I had over 120 bags of frozen milk in our freezer.  I knew we had to drive home.  So, we went to the grad party for about 10 minutes, literally, apologized, and headed out of town...

We got home by 6:00 pm (a quick 24 hour trip).  Luckily we were able to save the milk.  That was about all we saved.  We were then home, with no power, until Wednesday.  That was fun.  Eric and I had to sleep apart so each of us was near a child.  We had no sound in the house to buffer anything.  No lights=crabby Caleb.  We spent a lot of time with our neighbors.  We got a lot of sun.  We got a lot of mosquito bites.  We ate a lot of fast food.  We got a lot of ice.  We used our coolers.  We showered in the dark.  We did not cook.  It was an adventure.

Then it came back on.  YAY!!!

Then it went back out twice in the next week and a half.  They finally fixed our transformer.  So hopefully, we will not lose power another time this summer!

Cheers to indoor camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment