Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring 2012 Day in the Life

Laura at Navigating the Mothership challenged her readers to do a "day in the life".  I have done this twice now, so I thought, "why not".  I originally thought I would try to do a weekday, but so goes the life of a working mom...that did not work out.  So here it is a typical crazy Saturday:

April 28, 2012

So there are no photos, but this night we were up (er, should I say my son was up) at 1:30, 3:00, and 4:30.  It was like the good ol days of having a newborn.  It was weird.  So when my husband's alarm clock went off this morning, I felt like I had been hit by a train, or a car, or a jet...it sucked.  The kiddo decided that this would be a good time to get up, so in order to have a few more minutes in a horizontal position I let him play with the iPad.


So...turns out we are completely out of coffee.  I have been trying to cut back since I would like to not be drinking coffee when thinking about having baby number two.  However, this morning is not the one to start this program.  The hubby offers to run to Caribou and I say, "yes", but think, "THANK YOU!!!!!"


He comes back with coffee and oatmeal.  Awwww!

So now I have to get up and think about feeding the monster, er, child.  Waffles and strawberries it is, easy peasy.


After breakfast, we relax for a few minutes.  I feel like during the week I am stretched so thin that it is nice to have some time to just chill out.  Also, I am seriously hoping to have enough good timing to try the new anti-bark thing we bought last night.  I am not one for bark collars or the like, as I think they are a mean, so I am hoping this loud air thingy will do the trick. 


at some point here there was an informercial for a tickle me plant...a plant you can grow and tickle for only $10.  Bargain?  Seriously, people probably buy this.  


I think I better start to get ready...since there was no good sleep last night the last thing I am feeling like doing is showering, so I figure I will just wash my face, refresh my makeup, and hope that my hair won't look too greasy.  I wish I could be one of those people who can go days between washes, but alas, I have realized in my nearly 33 years, that this is not going to happen.





Yes, those are stickers on my cheek.  

as ready as I am going to be today

So not we finish laundry and head out to music class.  I am blessed with a toddler that (thus far) loves to help out, and actually gets mad if I don't have him help clean up.  He will usually run toward me and tell me he wants a turn.




We are ready to go, and head out.  First music class, then we stop at Daddy's work to say "hi".  This turns out to be a terrible idea since he falls asleep in the car and does not want to nap later.  Argh.


rainy days and red lights.  not my fave.


We go in and eat lunch and then play a bit and read books before I attempt to lay him down for a nap.


While I hear him talking and singing to himself I try to relax on the couch and maybe take a nap myself (which doesn't happen).  I have a billion things I need to do, but I am feeling very exhausted today.


I get started on this blog, and then lay down for a few minutes.  He actually sleeps for a bit, and when he wakes up is not in a stellar mood.



After a snack and some lovin' all seems to be well again...except this rainy and yucky weather.  April showers bring May flowers, right?  It is just so much easier when we can go outside to play or to the park.  So inside we stay.





Now we move downstairs to do some art.  We color with crayons, meaning I am ordered to draw different things with crayons; a sun, cat, balloon, heart, bird, etc.  




We also color with markers, and use play dough.  Basically I am just trying to buy time before daddy comes home.  






I am tired.  Very tired.




Also, for dinner we decided to make a run for the border.  Yup, Taco Bell.  Not a healthy, good, or usual choice.  However, I am tired, and we are broke, so cheapo dinner out is the key.  Hubby is picking it up on his way home, since I have changed to my sweats and have no intention of going ANYWHERE.


  

After dinner we play.  I love it when we can all be together.  Our schedules are often opposite, so we do not get a lot of time where all three (or six if you count the animals) get to be together, so we try to make it fun when we do.


So then we lay the kiddo down, and I play around on the internet, we watch our favorite show lately, Criminal Minds, and then go to bed.  Oh, before bed I have fruit.  Gotta make up for the nachos right?  
















15 comments:

  1. Sleep deprivation like that when you are not at all used to it is sooo cruel. Like hit by a Mac Truck kind of cruel. Glad you made it through the day:)

    Oh and speaking of taco bell - I really want to try that Doritos thing! Looks like it would be worth the gut pain ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but a little less "dorito-y" than I imagined it to be. I imagine I would have liked it a lot better in my college days!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The store or the animal. Kidding. It is delish!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you made the best of a rainy, cold Saturday. I hate those. Luckily we don't see too many up here in NC.
    My girls love Play-Doh too, but I hardly ever get it out for them b/c I hate the way they mix the colors all together to make brown. Not to mention the mess! But when it's a rainy day, you do what you gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mixing colors is the worst. I am trying very hard not to care about things like that. All the marker caps have to match the markers, all the books have to be on the shelf spine out, and all the puzzle pieces have to be in the puzzles before they are put away. My husband thinks I am crazy.

      Delete
  4. Did I say "up" here in NC? I meant "down here.":)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, super impressed with your play-doh and coloring skills. Like seriously, I am terrible at that stuff. I pretty much have two go-to play-doh things: snakes and snow men. LAME! Your play-doh flower is beeeuuuutiful. As are your crayon drawings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot that goes into a snowman...three different sized balls are very hard to eyeball! The artsy-ness just comes from being a preschool teacher for many years, LOTS of practice.

      Delete
  6. Rainy days are TOUGH! Makes for a long day...especially when you are sleep deprived. Remember when you used to be able to curl up on the couch and watch a movies on rainy days. No? Me, either. ;) Toddlers are so busy busy busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss naps. I miss lazy days. I love being a mommy, and giving up all of that (most days).

      Delete
  7. TACO BELL!!!! Yum yum yum (secret favorite!) Baby boy is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Burt's Bees is the best... and probably the only consistent part of my 'makeup' routine, if you can call it that. And I despise the car nap. Ruins a real nap for us every time.

    Hope you have been able to get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, caribou and taco bell sounds like a good day to me! Minus the waking up several times at night - there's nothing worse :(

    ReplyDelete